ioby seeks a Development Associate based in Brooklyn, NY. The Development Associate will play a critical role in cultivating and supporting ioby’s nationwide community of citizen leaders. Reporting to the Executive Director and working with the Grants Manager, this team member will work to build a critical source of unrestricted funding for a growing organization, poised for impact. Responsibilities will include individual gifts, Board gives / gets, partnership development and employee matched gifts. For the right candidate, this position is an exciting opportunity to shape the growth of a mission-driven, community-based tech startup while contributing to a broad movement of citizen-led neighborhood development. There is a lot of room to advance your career at ioby.
We’re looking for a person who is highly responsive, discreet, obsessively detail oriented, capable of finding solutions on their own, and tenaciously driven to reach aggressive goals. You should be unafraid of talking about money and giving, and personally fulfilled doing a combination of administrative tasks (25%), database management (30%), customer service (30%) and strategic planning (15%). To do this job well, you should be capable of weighing tradeoffs and prioritizing ongoing deadlines against new urgency, based on new information daily; capable of working alone and with other team members equally; able to build relationships with a range of stakeholders; be customer oriented; and find creative systems solutions to work for different groups of people. To thrive at ioby, you believe in the power of resident-led action in making change, and are committed to racial and economic justice.
Extraordinary candidates will have experience managing up to C-level staff, and experience working in an anti-racist organization.
Women, people of color and LGBT people are always strongly encouraged to apply.
ioby is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. ioby’s organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, volunteerism, internships and other terms and conditions of employment or voluntary service shall not be based on a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
- Provide immediate and customized communication and responses to all individual donors to ioby
- Research prospective donors to ioby and set up meetings and follow up on behalf of the executive director and the Board of Directors
- Manage and track all relationships in Salesforce
- Support executive director with significant national partnerships by ensuring timely follow-up, customized responses to potential partners, and working with program staff to ensure deliverables of partnerships are all met on time.
- 50% Individual donor (2017 - $100k)
- Major Donors: Research, cultivation, tracking and followup in Salesforce; processing gifts by check and cash.
- Online Giving: Build system for online giving and gift management; create communications lists for 3-4 campaigns per year
- 20% Board (2017 - $60K)
- Create system to track and manage Board gives and gets in Salesforce; Support Board’s development goals
- 20% Partnerships (2017 - $500k)
- Support executive director in partnership solicitation, crafting and customizing proposals, provide prompt follow-up to inquiries.
- 10% Employee matched gifts (2017 - $25k)
- Manage disbursement through employee matched-giving online systems, and tracking all gifts to ioby and to ioby campaigns in Salesforce
This job is based at ioby’s Brooklyn office. ioby’s regular business hours are 9-6pm Monday through Friday, but this job will require occasional work outside regular business hours. ioby is a startup: You’ll be expected to bring new ideas, strategies, revise your work on short timelines and bring an attitude of continuous improvement and a culture of innovation.
Candidates for this position must have the following work experience.
- Experience doing prospect research
- Experience in cultivating personal, one-on-one relationships AND
- Experience working with institutions -- like foundations, or corporations AND
- Experience in developing new partnerships
- Experience with database design and management of donor pipeline
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Be fulfilled by interaction with donors primarily in a customer service capacity
- Be comfortable moving between a behind-the-scenes role providing in administrative support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors (creating Salesforce reports, scheduling meetings, responding to urgent requests) to an in person interaction with donors in meetings and at events
- Extreme comfort talking with individuals about gifts and donation management
- Willingness to being managed remotely
- 1-3 years experience using a CRM (preference for Salesforce experience above all else)
- Experience using team project management software (like Asana, Basecamp, Trello)
- Proficient in HTML
- 1-3 years experience using a CMS
Extraordinary candidates will have these qualifications.
- 3+ years experience in donor management with gifts of $500 - $25,000)
- Experience in moves management of individual donors and partners into larger donations and awards
- 2+ years experience in grassroots fundraising
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Experience working at a startup
- Experience working / being managed remotely
- Experience handling sensitive information
- 4+ years experience customizing, designing and using Salesforce for donor management
This is a full-time position, with a salary range of $45,000 - $60,000, and includes a generous benefit package, including full coverage for health, eye and dental, a minimum of 28 personal days, and an attractive "Whole Person" policy.
Apply by June 23, 2017. No calls, please.